Monday, February 25, 2013

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
I can't believe I'd never read this until now. I've seen the 1973 animated movie many, many times but I honestly have no memory of ever reading the book. I had to read it for children's literature and have also been reading it with my 7 year old son (he's loving it).

What a charming and lovely book. Wilbur is so open and sweet and trusting, even if he is a runt of a pig.
Charlotte is beautiful and caring and smart, even if she is a spider. And she sacrifices for Wilbur, because she likes him.

Fern saves the runt of the piglets born the spring she is 8. She feeds him from a bottle, pushing his around in a doll carriage and loves him whole heartily. She can hear the conversations the animals in the barn have and she begins to grow up.
Charlotte's Web is really not just about a pig and a spider. It's about love and loyalty and friendship. It's a coming of age tale, a story about dealing with losing loved ones and belief in the things children know and adults forget, like the art of listening closely and with your heart.

(Finished February 25, 2013) 

No comments:

Post a Comment