Friday, March 8, 2013

Diary Of A Stage Mother's Daughter: a Memoir by Melissa Francis

Diary Of A Stage Mother's Daughter: a Memoir by Melissa Francis

Melissa is the actress who played the part of Cassandra on Little House On The Prairie in the later years of the series. It was my favorite show as a child so when I saw the review for her memoir in EW I rushed right to the library and snagged a copy. I was prepared for all kinds of dish on working with Michael Landon, Jason Bateman and Melissa Gilbert. What I got was so much more.

Melissa's mother was more than just a stereotypical stage mother; she was downright abusive. She told her daughters, Melissa and her sister Tiffany, often they were too fat, not good enough, not smart enough, not working hard enough and just awful. She also mismanaged or horded and kept away from Melissa her money earned as a child actress. But she also parceled out praise, gifts, bribes and something that on the surface looked like love to get them to work as actresses and to get them to perform well. Melissa ended up going forward with a career as an actress into her teens while Tiffany stopped acting.

Mrs. Francis is not likable, but Melissa is so very lovable and brave and strong. She survived her mother admirably.

I saw so much of my relationship with my mother in the things Melissa was feeling and dealing with. Of course the situations were different but essence of mother was so strikingly similar that I had a physical ache while reading this and at times considered stopping. I am so glad I didn't, the last page was a balm to my heart, and summed up where I am and working daily to continue to be with my family, my husband and children.


Melissa writes:
"The texture and color of my love for all three of them has proven to me that I can love, even though I was not ultimately loved myself. It doesn't matter what's come before if I can let go and try to do better. That truth was an awakening. My own family is a new beginning."

Her blunt open style is one that invites the reader in and causes an emotional connection to form, even if you didn't have any childhood trauma in your own life. Melissa treats the reader as a new friend who has come over for tea and is allowing to get to know her.

(finished March 8, 2012)






No comments:

Post a Comment