Sunday, June 28, 2015

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume

Yet another book that follows threads of interconnected lives, and I love it.

During a short period of time beginning in late 1951 into early 1952 there are three plane crashes in Elizabeth NJ. During this time Miri is 15 years old and falls in love for the first time. She learns that not everyone tells the truth all time, even those who we love the most, and she learns about life while surrounded by death.

In the Unlikely Event left me feeling like I did when I was young and was reading Judy Blume books (Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Deenie; Blubber; Forever; Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great; Then Again Maybe I Won't; Tiger Eyes; and way before my time Wifey). I felt like someone understood me and my peers, someone could capture our voices and feelings, and it was glorious to know we weren't freaks but even if we were we weren't freaks alone. She did it again here, she captured the intensity of the feelings teenagers feel, but she also writes about the intensity and fear adults feel, and if that's not enough, she visits how those teenage feelings touch us when as adults we revisit the people and places of our youth.

I think it's time to reread some of the books I loved by her as a youngin' and read the adult books I haven't read yet.


(Finished June 28, 2015)


No comments:

Post a Comment