Saturday, January 9, 2016

Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

I have never read anything by P.D. James before but after reading this I will seek out more.

I grabbed this from the Buy 2 Get 1 Free table at Barnes and Noble because I love that table and because I was intrigued by the idea of a sequel of sorts to Pride and Prejudice.

Having, as I said, never read James before I do not know if this is her normal writing style or if this was written in a way to make it feel like it was part of Jane Austen's story of Elizabeth and her Mr. Darcy.

It had the feel of Austen without what might be called excessive wordiness. The dialogue feels authentic to what you would expect of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy.

But at the heart of this book is a murder mystery. Who killed Denny and why? Was it Wickham?
I thought I knew who the killer was but I was wrong. I love when I think I have it figured out and turn out to be wrong but don't end up feeling cheated by the reveal.

It was nice to visit Elizabeth again even if it was under such unfortunate circumstances.

(Finished January 9, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment