Thursday, August 11, 2016

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon

My reviews of the other books in the series:

Outlander (Outlander #1)
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2)
Voyager (Outlander #3)
Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4)
The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander #6)
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander #8)



Another solid if long outing. While we spend most of the time with Jamie and Claire in the midst of the American Revolution there is time spent in 1980 with Roger and Bree and their children Jem and Amanda. 

I was pleased that there wasn't what has become a routine kidnapping this go round. That doesn't mean the Frasers were safe, but I was, as I said in the A Breath of Snow and Ashes review, quite tired of Claire and Jamie being pulled apart by kidnapping. 


There was however a kidnapping but it wasn't part of the pattern and was heart wrenching and a bit surprising. It isn't resolved at the end so to find out how the victim fares and what the fallout from the rescue attempt that is going off in a very wrong direction will have to wait for book 7 which I will be getting next week. 

There is time spent back in Scotland with Jenny and Ian and their children and I shed some tears during this. I was frustrated with Jenny but haven't given up on her, there was a hint of the Jenny I liked in the end of this book so I hope she is back next book. 

Ian (younger) has grown to be a character I love and I really like the Hunter siblings. I am not happy with where the Lord John storyline goes and I was disappointed in Claire in how this went, but that too is left unresolved and will take reading book 7 to find out if their is lasting damage from this bit. 

I loved the first 2 books, maybe 3, but then have slipped into the really like column. 

(Finished August 11, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment