Sunday, June 11, 2017

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Maddy and Olly. 18 and in love. Only Maddy can't go outside. Ever. If she does she will surely die. She's allergic to the world (as in like the boy in the plastic bubble).
But thanks to meeting Olly Maddy wants to live...really live...even if it means she will die.

Her mother has taken care of her for her whole life, they are very close. Maddy's house keeps her alive and her mother doesn't want to risk losing her daughter so she has done everything she can to keep Maddy safe.

But Maddy wants more and runs away taking Olly with her.

What happens when a girl allergic to the world tries to find her place in it?

I had to read this before the movie comes out and I saw the trailer recently so I knew my time was running short. I am so glad I did, but now, as usual I am worried how it will be translated for the screen.

I really liked the story, the connection between Olly and Maddy felt so important for them both and I liked how innocent and true it reads. When time is limited there is a lot of cutting to the heart of the matter and that is how Olly and Maddy approach their budding feelings. At the same time there is the "typical" teenage trait of jumping in and ignoring other things when a relationship is new. For example Maddy wants to spend less time with her mom and her studies so she can IM with Olly.

Life can be so messy and complicated even when it is good...falling in love shouldn't feel like falling off the world but it does...and your heart can try and kill you when it breaks....but life is so worth living and love is so worth the fall...that's what I take away from this story

(Finished June 11, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment