Saturday, July 29, 2017

Final Girls by Riley Sager

I belong to the Book of the Month Club, which if you aren't a member already you really should join, just CLICK HERE, and this was one of the July selections. I was torn between two, this one and The Windfall by Diksha Basu which I will read soon and review when I am done.

I had been reading a bit of heavy stuff and non-fiction political stuff so went for a thriller to cleanse my mental palette with a little blood and mystery. I was not disappointed. Final Girls was one of those try to figure it out thrillers that begins to lay clues, some real, some red herrings, others so subtle they are missed until the reveal and then the aha moment happens. 

Final Girls is the term given in this story to young women who are the only survivors of a mass killing and there are three involved here. Separated by years and circumstances but bound by tragedies only they walked away from are Lisa, Samantha, and Quincy. Lisa embraces her final girl role and becomes a child psychologist, Samantha goes off the grid to avoid the spotlight, and Quincy, well she is just fine and normal thank you very much. That is until Lisa dies and Samantha shows up at Quincy's home.

Then her world begins to rock and spin and fall apart. The mystery of what it is Quincy can't remember from the night of the massacre she survived begins to unravel. Who did it? I didn't see the reveal coming, well at first I thought I did then I dismissed my guess because it seemed to far fetched, but it wasn't, though I was way of on the details. I began to believe it was someone else and I really thought I had it figured out and fully abandoned by first suspect....but nope.

And that is all I can say about that...except to add that you should read Final Girls, it is a tensely told wild ride of a thriller.

(Finished July 29, 2017)  


No comments:

Post a Comment