Monday, December 30, 2013

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

I Am Malala was part history lesson, part memoir.

Reading Malala's words you get a picture of her home and how much she loves it. You also get an understanding for what was going on leading up to the shooting that made her a household name all over the world. What you may not know, as I didn't until reading this was that she was already becoming quite famous before her shooting.

There are some who say her father used her as his mouth piece and it is his fault she got hurt. Reading her words and having heard her speak I think that she is a young girl who wanted to go to school and was raised by a man who knew the value of speaking up and she learned from her father but was not used by him.

I was struck by her courage and love her desire to see education become a right for all children. And when she was most worried about leaving her books behind I knew I loved her.

What a courageous and wonderful young woman!

(Finished December 30, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment