Saturday, February 8, 2014

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

While I have seen the film version many years ago this was my first read of the novel. It was assigned for my Propaganda and War class.


I found the thought of living in the world in this book to be horrific. I couldn't stand to live in a world where books were outlawed and getting caught with them means they would be burned along with my home. I think I would be like the woman in who couldn't just watch her precious books go and so burned them and herself along with them.


I think that had I read this in junior high or early high school it would have mostly gone over my head. There is a bit of a hyper active feeling to the writing, like things start out a little slow and quickly begin to spiral out of control until Guy ends up with the outsiders who I have thought of ever since seeing the film as the book people. And I think that is part of the point here, how once you become aware of the problem and want to act that things begin to move and move quickly at times.

I don't remember the film ending the way the novel did and was a little shocked, but it has been over 20 years since I saw it.

Not the easiest of reads but rather quick and very thought provoking.

(Finished February 7, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment