Thursday, July 2, 2015

Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians #1) by Kevin Kwan

I heard about this book on NPR and it intrigued me.
I devoured this 527 page novel as if it were a pile of satay in the Singapore food stalls Rachel and Nick visit. And it was delicious.

Crazy Rich Asians is part over the top soap opera, part love story, part satire. The book could have been titled Crazy, Rich, Asians because Nick's family could defiantly be called crazy and they are very, very, heck they are obscenely rich. They think nothing of spending $200,000 on a dress and $50,000 on shoes, and a million on jewelry in one breathe and then pretend they aren't rich in the next. And while it is campy and over the top, it is fun and fabulous. Kevin Kwan spins a tale of manipulation, love, friendship, a $40 million wedding, and makes it fun to read even as you loathe some of the people in the world he created. And at times feel a little envious....

I didn't know there was going to be a book 2 when I bought this months ago but now that I read I can't wait to get my hands on the next part of the story, I want to spend more time with Rachel and Nick, and Astrid the only "normal" people in the story, but I want to read more about Nick's outrageous family too.  

(Finished July 2, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment