Sunday, July 19, 2015

One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper

This was my first Jonathan Tropper read. I want to read and saw the movie This Is Where I Leave You. I really liked the movie and hear the book was very good. This book was similar in style, sarcastic, irreverent, moving, and thought provoking.

The ending made me drop the book and feel a WTF moment and it is the only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars on Goodreads.


What if your life was a mess and it was completely your fault. What if you lived in a crappy apartment surrounded by other people who also fucked up their lives. And then what if you found out you were dying unless you had an operation. Would you wise up, have the operation, and then make things better? Or maybe you would think that the only way to make things better was to not have the operation because if you were well you would go back to being the same hot mess you were before you got sick.
This is what One Last Thing Before I Go is all about.

Past his prime one hit wonder rock star Silver has messed up his marriage and been a shitty father. Then he finds out he needs heart surgery or he will die, soon. And his 18 year old daughter is pregnant and has come to him for support, even after he has never given her reason to think he would be would be there for her. And his ex-wife is about to get remarried. So he chooses to not have the surgery. He thinks having it will make him continue to be the crap man he has been.

I was moved by Silver, and angry at him, and pulling for him. I liked him but hated him. And I wanted him to be ok.

(Finished July 19, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment