Monday, January 9, 2017

The Fate of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling #3) by Erika Johansen

First there we meet The Queen of the Tearling then comes The Invasion of the Tearling and now in the conclusion of the trilogy we learn The Fate of the Tearling.

We last left Kelsea in the hands of The Red Queen. As could be predicted her Guard are not just going to let this go on and so a jailbreak is planned.

Questions do get answered in this conclusion to what I found to be a trilogy I enjoyed reading. As is the case with others (think Hunger Games, Divergent, Pretties, Matched) the story begins with and evolves from an idea, an idea that says if we do X than society will be a better place and the costs are worth it. Where this story leaves this pattern slightly is in the conclusion which I won't give details of so as not to spoil anyone, but I will say it is an interesting solution and slightly original in this type of story.

We do learn the fate of The Red Queen, what happened in The Tear, what the deal with The Children is and how it began, and what happened to Jonathan.

I will say that I was a bit surprised by the ending but then again not really because it fit with who Kelsea is inside after all her transforming externally.

I found this trilogy an enjoyable read that also made me think about what we do to each other, how people are driven by the desire to be loved no matter the time or place, and the danger in thinking one can create a utopian society and not really learning from history.

(Finished January 8, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment