Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

First let me say that you may notice that it took me a week to read this, which is a little longer than it normally would have to finish this book but it isn't because I didn't like the book, but it was because I got caught up in watching The Great British Baking Show with my husband and used time I would have normally been reading, but this is a book worth reading!!


The backbone of the story in The Nightingale is one about the strength and love of women and what we can do even in the toughest situations.

Two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, are incredibly strong and brave French women living in Nazi occupied France. Because their father suffered so much during the first war and then more when their mother died they grew up broken from each other and him and everything that came after is colored by this painful childhood. But they surprise themselves and each other by the lengths they are able to go in order to do what is right when right can be deadly. They both come to it at different times and are heroic in different ways. But they both find their true healing among the broken ashes of life and in death.

Don't read this expecting a spot on history book, it is a novel and the characters are the focus and not writing a fully faithful history of events.

I really liked Hannah's writing style and will seek out and read more by her. Thank you Barnes & Noble bookseller Dude (memory fail, I can't remember his name) for recommending this to me.

(Finished April 10, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment