Sunday, July 22, 2018

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) by Alexandra Bracken

While I know now that there is a movie coming soon based on this book I hadn't heard of it until my husband gave be this as one of a bag of books he got me for my birthday a few days ago. He saw it in the store and thought I would like it. 

I DID!!!! And I can't wait to read the rest of the series. The only reason I am not jumping right into book 2 is because I need to read Clock Dance by Anne Tyler for Barnes & Noble's book club night coming soon. 


I have a love of stories like this, where there is something that happens that changes the world, how it is run, who is in charge, who thinks they are in charge, new world order type stuff. While this isn't exactly Hunger Games or Uglies or Matched...etc....it kind of fits that YA Sub-Genre. 

Some of the children in the US start to show powers or abilities while others die of a virus. Adults act in fear and try to "fix" the kids which involves putting them into camps and keeping them away from the world. 

But then Chubs, Liam, Zu, and Ruby find each other. They become a family of sorts and face what they learn about their powers, the rulers, and love and loss. 

Ruby is 16 now but has been in the camp since she was 10. When she leaves the camp she realizes how little she knows and how the world just went on outside the fences of her camp. She is stronger than she thinks and so much better than her main adversary even if he thinks he knows so much. 

I spent the last 10 pages saying "No Ruby, don't do it" while my heart was breaking and I was wishing for a happier ending, but I guess it makes sense that it wasn't the happily ever after ending since there are three more books to go. Though as I learned from my time in the world of Divergent and Game of Thrones, being a main character doesn't make one safe, not anymore!!!!

I need to know if Ruby can fix what she has done. I need to know Chub's fate. I need to know where Zu is. And I need Liam to keep calling Ruby darlin'. Oh and I really want Clancy to have or to get his ass handed to him!!!

(Finished July 22, 2018)


No comments:

Post a Comment