Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Clock Dance by Anne Tyler

Back in 2016 I read A Spool of Blue Thread for a bookclub I used to be part of in my community. I really enjoyed it. So when when Barnes & Noble announced its 2nd Bookclub event (the first was The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer) and this was the book I felt pretty sure I would at least not hate it. So I signed up and used some of my birthday gift card (my birthday was 6 days ago) to buy this selection. And I loved it!!!


The starting point is a moment that imprints itself on Willa and changes who she is in way she has no idea of yet, after all she is only 11. Her mother, who has always been completely predictable in her unpredictability, vanishes for a few days then returns as suddenly as she left. Those couple of days plant a seed in Willa and grows and changes who she might have been into who she becomes. It is one of those clear before and after moments that sometimes happen to us.

The story follows Willa in 1967, 1977, 1997, and 2017. How her mother's moods and behaviors changes her is different than how her sister is impacted. Willa is a people pleaser, people being everyone but herself. When an accidental shooting has her dragged into her son's ex's and the ex's daughter's life Willa begins to see. Seeing isn't always easy and sometimes we don't like what see. Where Tyler really hits home here is how Willa grows and sees and what she chooses, when she learns or realizes she has a choice to make.

I can't wait to talk to who ever shows up for the discussion night for this one!!

(Finished July 23, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment