Friday, October 5, 2018

Impostors (Uglies #5) by Scott Westerfeld

I have read quite a few books by Scott Westerfeld, the first 4 in the Uglies series, the Leviathan trilogy, the Midnighters books, and the Peeps books. And for the most part I have loved or at the very least really enjoyed all of his work.

Specific to uglies, I loved the first 3 books but didn't love Extras, it felt forced to me. I would say it felt like the story was done and then someone made him come back for more before there was more to tell to cash in on the popularity of the trilogy. When this book was announced I was excited even if I was a little worried it would suffer from what ever plagues Extras for me. I was hopeful that enough time had past that it made sense to revisit Tally's world. And boy was I right!!!

In the beginning I was wondering when she (Tally) would show up. But before long I found myself thinking less of her and getting more and more invested in Frey. I wondered about the romance and how it fit into the story as I often do when reading YA. I always ask myself is it gratuitous meant to pander to the teen audience and what publishers think they want or does it add to the story. In this case I would say it adds to the story, it is part of how Frey separates herself from Rafi, begins to find and form her own identity outside the world where she is kept as a secret killing machine and made to be a carbon copy of her twin and nothing more. It is a case of the heir and the spare taken to a deadly extreme.

By the time I got to the last page I was feeling a familiar sense of dread, the one I always feel when a series has gripped me and I know the current piece is ending and there is a wait ahead for the next part.

Bring on more Frey and Col please Mr. Westerfeld, as soon as possible.

Oh and I just want to say here, as a prediction of sorts, I don't trust Rafi. I have a feeling she is not what she seems and is not a good gal.

(Finished October 4, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment