Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

I read this because of a review in EW and because I loved the movie based on her book The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and have meant to read it and will at some point.

While I liked this book I didn't love it.

Reincarnation is real. Among those reincarnated a rare few can remember all of the details of all of their past lives. Imagine then that you do something you feel horribly guilty for in your first life and it sticks with you for centuries and as you try to right this wrong you find you have fallen in love with the soul of the person you hurt. And imagine then that she at times loves you too. But she can't remember. So for lifetime after lifetime you keep trying to get to her. That is the premise of the story of Daniel and Lucy. He remembers her and he has loved her for hundreds of years. Lucy is just a high school senior with a crush on the cute quiet boy.

What follows is the tale of how they have connected and been separated over and over as told through Daniels memories. There is also the thread of what happens when a soul is so black and evil that there is no love but only anger and hatred and the desire for revenge.

All of this should have come together to make a really great book. The writing is wonderful. The characters are lovable. However, the start of the story was a bit slow to grip me. Now if you have read any of my reviews you know that a slow start doesn't keep me from loving a book if once it picks up it is great. But then the end of this disappointed me. It felt abrupt. Sort of like Brashares slammed on the breaks and instead of feeling left with imagining where they went after the last page it was more like, hey that's it? I would say it is worth reading at some point but nothing to run out and get ASAP.

So while I liked the story, I didn't love the book.

(finished June 28, 3013)


No comments:

Post a Comment