Monday, July 1, 2013

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

I love the sub-genre of YA books that contain books like the Uglies series and The Hunger Games series. They tell the stories of humans trying to survive some sort of government over control or other apocalyptic tragedy.

The 5th Wave looks to be the newest entry in the category to cross my path. I'll admit I rolled my eyes when I read that it was an alien takeover that served as the jumping off point of this one. But I didn't roll them anymore once I started the book.

Cassie is a smart and loveable teenage girl who is very fluent in sarcasm. I loved her pretty much right away.

Keeping in mind this is book one of a series and I don't want to spoil anyone there is not too much I can say. But I can share that the tale here is that aliens have come. There have been waves of attack, wave 1 doing away with electricity, wave 2 is a worldwide catastrophic tsunami, wave 3 is an uber virus and wave 4 is the silencers...then comes the 5th...

Often times the first book in a series is a little slow to get going because of the time used in many book 1's to set up the world to be explored in the coming books. That was not an issue here, Yancey jumped right in and we were given bits and pieces of needed information as we went but it wasn't done in a slow start kind of way. I liked this style very much.

I am very much looking forward more in this series. The ending of this one was a killer cliffhanger...

(finished June 30, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment