Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1) by Deborah Harkness

I read this book, book 1 in a trilogy because I have a thing for autographed books and for reading the work of alumna of what has become my beloved school, Mount Holyoke College. While I was in the Odyssey Bookshop they had autographed copies of book 3 so I bought it. Then my friend Liz gave me book 1.

When I started reading this book I wasn't sure I liked it. There were little tinges that brought to mind Twilight. The story of a Vampire getting involved with someone who wasn't one. But it was short lived. The more I read the more I liked it.

What A Discovery of Witches turned out to be on the surface is a supernatural story full of magic, witches, vampires, and daemons living among humans. It is also seems to be about Diana, an extremely reluctant witch, Matthew, a very old, very powerful vampire, and the rules that govern the interaction between the different non-human members of the population.

What the story really is under the surface is a story of prejudice and fear of those who are different and not fully understood. It is the story of love in the face of opposition and danger. And yes, it is a supernatural story filled with creatures and magic.

What started for me as a maybe turned out to be quite enjoyable and left me wanting more.

(Finished May 26, 2015)  

No comments:

Post a Comment