Thursday, May 21, 2015

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham

I picked this one up without reading the summary on the back or knowing anything about it except that the author is Lauren Graham. I loved her on Gilmore Girls and Parenthood and figured I'd love her as a writer. I wasn't disappointed.

The style of her writing reminded me of Caprice Crane. The main character is a 20-something, quirky  young woman who is not exactly comfortable in her own skin but is trying to be. Crane does it better but Graham is pretty good.

In Someday, Someday, Maybe we meet Franny, an aspiring actress living in Brooklyn NY (my hometown) who is almost at the end of her self-imposed "make it or go home" deadline.

Franny live with her best friend Jane who is working as an production assistant on a real movie set and their third roommate Dan an aspiring screen writer who gave up his premed track to write a science fiction script. She attends acting classes, works as a waitress at a comedy club, and goes on auditions. She is pretty funny, even when she isn't trying to be, especially when she isn't trying to be.

Will she make it, get her big break before her deadline? Does it matter if she does?

While I will admit this wasn't the end all be all of books I have read, I enjoyed it and would read more by Graham is she ever wrote more.

(Finished May 19, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment