Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Hundred-Foot Journey by Richard C. Morais

The trailer for the movie made me want to read this book, but it was not at all what I expected, thought I am not sure exactly what I expected.

It is a fairly quick read and at first glance feels a little shallow. By that I mean the number of years covered in about 270 pages means there is not a lot of detail in any one year of Hassan's journey.

And it is a journey. From India to London to Lumire in the French Alps and finally to Paris. Hassan losses his mother and home land and finds his passion for cooking. His family is crazy, loud, colorful, and they really love each other. There is not a lot of deep diving into the everyday workings of the relationship he has with them but it is of vital importance, especially with his father. You end up with a good understanding of how they all fit together.

The biggest thread that runs through his life is the need for feeling at home when you have lost the land you feel in your bones is home. Food is a main character and used to tell the tale of Hassan's trek from cooking Indian food in a family run establishment to a Michelin Star chef in Paris.

Glossed over, and the one area I wish was explored more, is how the loss if his mother and his need to be successful has kept him from creating a family of his own.

I really did enjoy the story, even though I had to skim over some of the names of foods and places because I don't read (or speak) French. Oh and I am craving curry now.

Now I am interested in seeing the film and see how this translates to the screen.

(Finished May 17, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment