Friday, May 18, 2018

Banana Cream Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen #21) by Joanne Fluke

Not too long ago, as often happens with the bookseller staff, I was talking to the Barnes & Noble manager and another customer joined the conversation about what we were reading or wanting to read. I mentioned that I often read heavy, dark, and otherwise brain taxing books and so from time to time I like to throw in a brain cleaning read, something fluffy or fun, something that doesn't require too much on my part, something I can just enjoy without much workout for my noggin. The other customer was buying the newest Joanne Fluke book, Raspberry Danish Murder, and she (the customer) said I should read them if I like mysteries because they would fit into my lighter reads need and while there are 20+ books I can jump in anywhere. I do like mysteries so I tucked away that little tidbit.

Well I had a coupon that was expiring one day last week so I figured I would grab the newest. I used a little thing I have advised my kids to do when considering a new book they have no experience with the author of or are just curious about, read the first 2 pages in the store and if you are left wanting more that's a good sign that you should read the rest. I did that with Raspberry Danish Murder and it started on what was clearly an important detail from the previous book so I grabbed it, this one, too, which I finished this morning.

And first off let me say, the customer lady was right, it was an easy, not at all taxing read. It wasn't what I typically find in mysteries I enjoy, there weren't tons of false clues or many clues at all to have me trying to figure out who-done-it. It was just kind of nice, the book. Lots, and I do mean lots, of talk about food, there was a page and a half on the assembly of a sandwich. There are recipes for the dishes that play center stage in each chapter and they are cute because they are written in character as Hannah. But it was absolutely an easy, not at all taxing read.

I will read the next one since I bought it already, and I will probably from time to time when I need my brain cleansed grab another starting from the beginning, but I wont be rushing out to get them. It just may be more fluff than I want in my fluffy reads.

(Finished May 18, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment