Sunday, May 6, 2018

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood #1) by Becky Albertalli

I took my 17 & 12 year olds to see the movie a few weeks ago and we all three loved it. Then my 12 going on 90 year old wanted to read it and he devoured it and insisted I read it. He then went on to read in just a few hours the follow up, Leah on the Offbeat and he is making use of the read for free anything on the Nook when in Barnes & Noble stores to read a little at a time of The Upside of Unrequited which also is part of the Simon universe and he is loving it. As a side note he is also reading Fahrenheit 451 at home for fun not for school, just to give you an idea of the level this kid is at!!      

As I said I really loved the movie, but I am glad I saw the movie before I read the book. Why you ask? Well I loved the book even more and had I read the book first the changes from page to screen would have made me love the movie less and it was such a great experience and the conversation after it with my kids was so huge and deep, I wouldn't have wanted that ruined.

Simon is a young man, a Jr. in high school, who is gay but hasn't come out yet. Add that to the regular crap that is the teen years and the high school dynamic. When he accidentally forgets to sign out of his Gmail account a classmate reads emails Simon, using the alias Jacques, has been exchanging with another student only known to Simon as Blue. It is clear from these emails that the two young men are exploring their sexuality and their growing feelings for each other. Martin, the classmate, has a crush on Simon's friend Abby and uses the info he got from the emails to blackmail Simon to try and get hooked up with Abby.

The heart of this story is amazing as is the lesson of being able to be true to yourself and that it is ok to be confused and figure out on your own terms who you are and who you want to be and how you want to get there. Now my son tells me I need to read the other stories. I will.

NOTE: There is talk of sexual feelings and thoughts, kissing and some mention of masturbation, not terribly explicit but still, it is something to mindful of if your child is going to read this. My son and I had some talks about age appropriate behavior and the need for open communication about adult feelings and acts.

(Finished May 6, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment