Wednesday, June 6, 2018

A Reaper at the Gates (Ember Quartet #3) by Sabaa Tahir

Amazon screwed up and I got my copy of Reaper 10 days early. I wont include any spoilers here so don't worry!!

This is book 3 in a 4 book series. I need book 4 NOW!!! You can read my thoughts on An Ember in the Ashes (Ember Quartet #1) and A Torch Against the Night (Ember Quartet #2) if you haven't already.

Reaper picks up where Torch left off, Blood Shrike/Helene, Elias, Laia, they are back, as are the baddies Marcus, Nightbringer, and Keris. The chapters alternate voice and POV and I would suggest paying attention to the chapter names/titles.

As in the other outings, the characters are smartly written, and the story is tense and full of excitement. The world Sabaa has created feels like it is breathing on the page and pulled me in. I could smell smoke and blood. I could hear the wind. I could feel the fear and anger.

Leaving these characters again is bittersweet. I loved, even when it wasn't nice stuff going on, spending time with them and learning more about their stories. I love how Sabaa writes her characters like we are here in the real world, complex where nothing is a simple as it seems or we wish it could be. There are shades of gray and things are nuanced. The why of a persons choices matter in helping to understand why they do what they do and maybe try and stop them or change their mind.

There are so many answers but also so many effin new questions too!!!

This is on my list of MUST READ books when I am asked for suggestions.

(Finished June 6, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment