Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles) by Amy Spalding

Pride Month 2018 Read #8

The same incredible young person, S, who suggested I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe  suggested this one. And she is 2 for 2 (coming soon I will be reading the third book S told me about, Juliet Takes A Breath so we will see if her streak continues). 

I loved The Summer of Jordi Perez. I love Abby, Jax, and Jordi. I didn't love or even much like Maliah right away but she grew on me, never to love though. I was angry with Abby's mom and my heart ached for Abby and the way her mom's words stuck with her. It was a powerful reminder on the power our words carry and when we talk to our children we need to be super mindful of the way they hear us and what we mean. Damage is so hard to undo. 

Abby has a wicked sense of style and is smart, sassy, beautiful, and is a great friend. But she doesn't always see how amazing she is in the eyes of others because she feels like she is fat....she needs to learn to be kinder to herself and allow others to see her as they do and not as she thinks they should. It is a lesson so many of us need to learn be we gay, straight, bi, male, female, or something else, fat, skinny, tall, short, regardless of the color of our skin, we all at one time or another are way too hard on ourselves and judge ourselves too harshly and feel unworthy of love, but we aren't, we all deserve to love and be loved. And that is what Abby learns I think. 

If you take something else from the story I'd love to know. 

And darn if I'm not craving a burger now!!!

(Finished June 21, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment