Saturday, August 25, 2018

Firefly Lane: A Novel (Firefly Lane #1) by Kristin Hannah

I read and really liked The Nightingale so when I saw Firefly Lane on the Buy 2 Get 1 Free table at Barnes & Noble I put it on the list of books I wanted when I gave my husband my birthday wish list, and he got it. With as many books in TBR pile it took me awhile to get to this but holy ugly cry did I get to it. I didn't know it was a "book 1" and I don't know that my heart can stand more, I am so wrecked over this one, but at some point I may go ahead and read book 2.

As with many stories this is one about love, family, and loss. But it is more. It is about the love between best friends over decades and making family where there isn't one and staying together even when it is so hard and hurts so much.


I have to say that at times I was so upset and angry with Tully, to the point of not liking the character. But by the last page I found that like Kate, I just couldn't help but to love her even though I had those other feelings too. Katie, I loved her from the very first moment. And Mrs. M, oh how I love her, I hope I am the kind of mother she is. At times I found myself yelling at Kate to grow a backbone, but by the end I realized she was so very strong and that it was her way of loving Tully so fully that it may have looked like weakness but it sure as hell wasn't.

Friendships, love, family, it is all so messy and complicated and Kristin does a masterful job writing a powerful novel that highlights all the ups, and downs, all the good, bad, and ugly.


This was one of those truly heart shredding reads but was so beautifully done.

(Finished August 25, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment