Saturday, September 15, 2018

Graceling (Graceling Realm #1) by Kristin Cashore

If you see the dates on my Goodreads page for this one it looks like it took a longer than one might expect for me to finish. But I put it aside to read Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward and had a few things going on that kept me from reading anything.

I tried to buy book 2, Bitterblue, today but B&N only had 1 copy in and it was dinged up and so I had a copy ordered for me. Now I almost wish I had sucked it up and bought the damaged copy because I want to spend more time with Katsa, Po, & Bitterblue,

Near the end of this book the tension was so much that I felt like wanted to put it down and catch my breath but I didn't want to stop because I needed to know what happened, but the tension was so bad I needed to stop but couldn't....

This was my second date with Kristin Cashore, the first was Jane, Unlimited, and she is now cemented in my mind as a favorite. Yes I have a lot of favorite authors, and it is mostly like with kids,  I love them all differently but couldn't pick just one.

So a review of the story without spoilers, it's an action packed, romance, swashbuckler, mystery, fantasy. Katsa is something called Graced...the Graced have some sort of extra power. They could be hunters, swimmers, fighters, etc...and they are identified by their two different colored eyes. Po is Graced too. His Grace challenges Katsa's entire sense of self and helps her stand up for herself and allow herself to grow and be who she wants to be. Some Graced are used and abused by the Kings who have them in their kingdom, as was the case with Katsa, she is used horribly Kind Randa. Some are hidden or have their gift downplayed to protect them as is the case with Po. Then they meet and their lives are changed. Katsa has rescued Po's grandfather from a dungeon. Po wants to know why his grandfather was kidnapped in the first place and by who.
Can they solve the mystery? Can Katsa manage to give of herself without giving up herself?

I really enjoyed Graceling, it was tense, interesting, at times it was fun and funny, it was satisfying. And I freely admit I love the girls don't have to belong to anyone other than themselves to share their life with someone plot point.

(Finished September 15, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment