Wednesday, July 23, 2014

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1) by Robert Galbraith

I grabbed this book awhile back when, like many HP fans, I found out that Galbraith was J.K. Rowling writing under a pen name. I didn't read it until now because, to be honest, I couldn't get into and still have not been able to go back to Casual Vacancy and I didn't want to dislike anything she wrote. But now that I have finished this one I am so glad I pulled it out of my stack.  


The Cuckoo's Calling was everything a mystery should be and everything the first in a series should be. The character of Cormoran Strike is fleshed out enough here to make you want to come back and spend more time with him. His assistant Robin is really likable and she represents the reader who wants to be the Watson to Sherlock as she becomes very valuable to Strike.

The story was well done and did the "who done it" splendidly. I usually figure out the "who" pretty early on when reading mysteries but not this time. I am not ashamed to admit that for the first time in a very long time I didn't see it until the reveal began. And I love that!

I will be starting book 2, The Silkworm, the right away.


(finished July 22, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment