Sunday, July 23, 2017

I Am Not Your Negro by James Baldwin, Raoul Peck (Editor)

If you have not watched the film I Am Not Your Negro you must!!!

This is I guess what I would call a companion to the film. The opening pages are about why and how and some of the challenges of putting together the film using the written and spoken words of James Baldwin. The remainder is a transcript of sorts. It is bits of Baldwin's writing and his words from interviews and speaking engagements.

His words are as powerful on the page as they are on the screen and the film and this thin volume are a one-two punch to the gut that everyone needs. Probably more than once.



Two quotes that stick with me and that I felt the need to share:
"I'm saying that a journey is called that because you cannot know what you will discover on the journey, what you will do with what you find or what you find will do to you."

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced."

(Finished July 23, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment