Saturday, April 14, 2018

My Sister Rosa by Justine Larbalestier

Back in 2009 I read a few other books by Larbalestier, Liar and the Magic or Madness series) and enjoyed them. This book landed in my hands because my daughter read it and told me she thought I would like it. I liked the others by this author and am a sucker for good YA so I dove in...and now I need a shower!!!



Are we what we are born? Are we what our environment makes us? You know, the whole nature vs. nurture debate. Are we more than our brains?

Siblings Rosa and Che are so very different. Che knows his little sister Rosa isn't normal, in fact she is downright scary dangerous. But no one else seems to see it and his parents (who they have to call by their first names) either don't or won't see it. They move a lot and so aren't in one place long enough for others to get to know them and see what Che knows to be true. He keeps journals and tries to keep Rosa from doing any permanent harm to people. 

But then in NYC it comes to a head. Che falls for a girl, Rosa is getting older and pushing the boundaries, and Che wonders what he is. 

I didn't see the end coming, but that is ok because what one of the things Larbalestier does so well is write characters who are unreliable (check out Liar for a great twisted read with an unreliable narrator). 

(Finished April 14, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment