Wednesday, May 23, 2018

A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose #1) by W. Bruce Cameron

Back in 2012 I read the book Every Day by an author I love, David Levithan. It was about a soul that woke up every day in a different body. Well this reminded me a little of that in dog form. It isn't exactly the same but the theme is very much alike, finding out who you are and learning from the life, or lives in this case, you live and feeling like you have fulfilled your purpose. Because we all, dog and human (maybe cat too?), want to feel like we have a purpose for being alive and that we have been able to serve that purpose.


A Dog's Purpose was on that much loved and hated Buy 2 Get 1 Free table at Barnes & Noble and since I have recently become a doggy momma I figured why not give it a try, maybe I will learn a little about my pup's behaviors. Then the manager, who I love talking books with, told me it was a great pick so I grabbed it.

She was right!! A dog is born as a puppy, he learns lessons about people, other dogs, love, loyalty, being safe, bravery, life....and at the end of that life he is born again with his memories intact and uses the prior lessons to live this new life and learn more. All the while he is trying to figure out what his purpose is and how he can fulfill it and thinking once he does he won't keep being born again.

This is at once a sad, happy, funny, insightful, and family friendly read. Well for middle grades and up I think it would be good for kids too. I know there was a movie made of it but I haven't seen it, yet.

I laughed quite a bit, the thoughts of a dog are written in such a way you can imagine dogs really thinking it, like smelling other dogs' poops, butt sniffing, etc. But there are so many moving things too, about loving the human he is with so much and the pleasure and pain that comes with love.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. I even went back and found book 2 on the Buy 2 Get 1 table so of course I grabbed it and a book I wanted the day I got this one but had to stick to my 3 picks....so of course I got a third the second day too since it needed to be in groups of three!!

(Finished May 22, 2018)


No comments:

Post a Comment