Saturday, July 7, 2018

The Outsider by Stephen King

I haven't read a Stephen King book in YEARS. The last one I read was 11/22/63 back in 2012. Before that I had read a bunch, seen the movies based on them or both. One of my favorites was The Stand, which I read while pregnant with my oldest and then became paranoid about people coughing near me.

At almost 200 pages in and I was thinking that this is a great crime story/mystery, I'll never figure this out, but it isn't "Stephen King." To begin with, it doesn't take place in Maine. And then there is the fact that while the crime was gruesome and made my stomach hurt and my heart break, there was nothing supernatural or "Kingish" about it. No monster clown, no pets returned from the dead, no teen with the power to move things with her mind, no kid starting fires with her brain, no killer dogs...you get the point....

But then it happens...things get REALLY creepy. Things don't seem humanly possible, after all a person can't be in two places at once can they? But that's what it appears is the case. And what started out as a typical who-done-it in the style of James Patterson is back into what one would expect from King and boy is it gross, and scary, and DIVINE!!!!


Don't read the last third of the book while eating.


(Finished July 7, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment