Thursday, July 9, 2020

Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice by Mahogany L. Browne, Elizabeth Acevedo, Olivia Gatwood

I got this book because I was getting books for a friend's 6th Grade Classroom library at her request. I say at her request because she deserves the credit for putting this AMAZING on my radar.


Woke: A Young Poet's Call to Justice may look like a kids picture book and the art is amazing and will hold younger children's attention if you read it to them. But the ideas and message will speak to older students and adults. So I would call this an all ages book even though the publisher lists the ages as 8-12 (3rd-7th grade).

The poems each cover a theme:
Activism
Ableism
Ally
Body Positivity
Community
Empathy
Equality
Forgiveness
Freedom Fighters
Gender
Immigration
Intersectionality
Individuality
Joy
Justice
Prejudice
Privilege
Protest
Resistance
Resourcefulness
Silencing
Stereotyping
Volunteering
Woke


And that is the overarching theme, inspiring the reader, targeting young people, to stay woke and become activists. 
This will get a lot of rereads and quoting. I love it. 


(Finished July 8, 2020)



No comments:

Post a Comment