Sunday, September 27, 2020

Punching the Air by Ibi Zoboi, Yusef Salaam

 I first discovered Ibi Zoboi by when I read American Street and loved it. Then I read Pride and I was hooked. 


I first learned who Yusef Salaam was when I was almost 18 and still living in Brooklyn NY. I watched horrified as the media helped the DA railroad these 5 young men for a crime, that while heinous, wasn't committed by them. This wasn't new behavior by the NYPD and it wasn't the last time the system in NYC (and other places) treated young Black men this was way. Having grown up in NYC Public Housing and being among more BIPOC than other white people I was maybe at least a little more aware of the mistreatment. But that is nothing compared to being on the receiving end of it nor do I claim it is. Just giving a frame of reference. I became more aware of the story of these young men, to parts of it that I don'e think I had known in such detail before when I saw the Ken Burns documentary and the Ava DuVernay film about what they went through. 


When this book came into the Barnes & Noble where I work I knew I wanted it. It wasn't easy to not buy it the same day, I had made myself a promise I would finish 2 books from my TBR before I bought anything else. 


Ok, so what did I think? THIS WAS INCREDIBLE!! I love the verse, spoken word poetry, style. The drawings/art on some of the pages added to the punch packed in the words. I was gutted and uplifted and heartbroken and filled with hope by this book. 


It is powerful and beautiful and ugly and amazing. I am telling you, you MUST, MUST, MUST READ THIS!!!! 

Amal is more than anyone gives him credit for. His teacher fails him and FAILS him. She doesn't see him. And this is so true to what too many Black students face. Too many white teachers try to force a truth or force a hiding of truth onto Black students. And when they fail they assume it is the student who has failed. I love that I know so many teachers working hard to break this cycle but it isn't widespread enough. 

You will feel this..every word of it...


I hope Dr. Salaam puts out more of his writing. 


(Finished September 27, 2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment