Monday, October 28, 2013

Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronical Roth

At the suggestion of my friend Ann, who shares my love of YA and books about dystopian society and the conversations they evoke I started this trilogy.

On Sunday I finished this book and ran out and got books 2 and 3.

But about this book specifically, I was very impressed. The writing was well done, the pace was excellent and the amount of tension was awful in the best possible way. The characters felt 3-demensional. They were all flawed but the struggle between the flaws and weakness and the desire to do or be better felt real. In the cases where the character wasn't conflicted but just not a nice person, the effect was chilling (Eric).

While the page count was not skimpy, the read was fast. One of the best compliments I feel I can pay a book is that when the hundreds (over 500 in this case) of pages are done and I feel like I just started and want more.

(finished October 27, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment