Friday, January 10, 2014

A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams

A classmate was reading this for a class and I had never read it or seen the movie so she offered to loan it to me.

I started and finished this one day, I have read plays that weren't very readable and that I didn't enjoy (Top  Girls) but this one was more along the line of A Raisin In The Sun as far as ease of reading what was on the pages and in following the story.  

I started disliking Blanche but by the end, while I still didn't like her I felt quite bad for her. I spent most of the story liking Stella but thinking she was really not too smart to stay with a man like Stanley, but given it was a different time and it isn't easy to see things when you are inside I wasn't going to judge her too harshly. Until that is she says she couldn't believe Blanche and stay with Stanley. She did know he was a jerk and still chose him over her sister and over choosing neither of them and taking care of herself. From the start I found Stanley slimy and a bit creepy.


Overall I liked the story and the imperfect characters, imperfection makes a story more interesting. When no one is completely likable it makes it harder to know who if anyone to care about or sympathize with.

(finished January 10, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment