Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Twentieth Wife (Taj Mahal Trilogy, #1) by Indu Sundaresan

Indu Sundaresan uses words in a lovely way to being to life the images of India from the late 1500's into the early 1600's. I enjoy fictionalized versions of real people and historical events and that is what The Twentieth Wife is. I wish those two facts combined to make me love this book but I just didn't feel sucked in to the point where I couldn't put the book down. At times felt I had to force myself to continue. It was made worse I think because about halfway through I realized I wasn't enjoying the book enough to read the rest of the trilogy and so felt even less motivated to finish.

The story follows Mehrunnisa from her birth to her place as the 20th wife of Emperor Jahangir at the age of 34. In between she is married to someone else against her wishes but goes along because she loves her father so much. She spends the years learning at the feet of an Empress, yearning for a child and being a good and devoted daughter. 

I truly didn't hate this book, I actually liked it, I just didn't love it.

(finished April 27, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment