Monday, January 5, 2015

The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad #5) by Tana French

I love the way Tana French writes so I was looking forward to reading book 5 of the Dublin Murder Squad series.

My favorite thing about mysteries is not figuring out the who in who-done-it. Part way in I thought I had it and while I was correct I ended up still enjoyed the unfolding of how and why.

In The Secret Place the world of teen girls and the angst they suffer and cause each other to suffer is the world where the murder of a teen boy takes place. The creep factor inherent in the world of mean girls drips off the page and that is meant as a compliment to the writing. There were times I wanted to slap more than one of the characters. At a school where the headmistress is determined to protect the rich girls and their families someone has committed a murder and for a year has gotten away with it. They would have continued to remain free if not for the daughter of a police officer figures it out and wants justice for the dead and those who loved him. But is she really guided by the desire for justice or does she have something to hide?




While this is the 5th in a series (In The WoodsThe Likeness, Faithful Place, Broken Harbor) it wouldn't be confusing to start here. Each story stands alone and what makes it a series is that it follows those who are part of or want to be part of the murder squad, names thread through the books but the stories can be read out of order without difficulty.

(Finished December 30, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment