Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Second Shift: Working Families and the Revolution at Home by Arlie Russell Hochschild, Anne Machung

I read this for my Work, Women, and Family class.

The premise is that women who are mothers and work outside the home work a second shift when they get home from work in order to take care of their home and children.

The books tells the story of some couples who and how they navigate this second shift.

I found it an interesting read but it also made me a little angry and some of the men and some of them women too. But the idea of a second shift and how to more equally share the responsibility that comes with rising a family when both parents work sparked conversation and debate in my class. It also provided some really good food for thought.

(Finished February 27, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment