Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir by Liz Prince

I was walking around at The Odyssey (independent bookstore across the street from campus). I saw the cover of this book and it jumped out at me.

Dakota has been going through a struggle with gender identity and we had been talking about the past year spent living as "he" but now feeling like that didn't fit so we were going back to calling her "she".

I saw the cover of Tomboy and it jumped out at me. So I picked up the book and read the inside front and back cover. This book felt custom made for my sweet kid. So I bought it and was so excited to get home.

Dakota read it first. Then she loaned it to our LUK worker Kathy (who we are so lucky to have) and now I have read it.

It's a graphic novel about Liz, who spent her life feeling like she was not "girly" and was more interested in things people were trying to tell her were for boys. She didn't like makeup, dresses, and the thought of needing a bra was horrific.

She much preferred her baseball cap, comfy men's t-shirts, baggy boys jeans, and ghostbuster toys.
It took her a very long time to feel comfortable in her own skin and realize that she was a she, just not by society's definition of what made someone a girl.


(finished March 17, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment