Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Rainbow Comes and Goes: A Mother and Son On Life, Love, and Loss by Anderson Cooper, Gloria Vanderbilt

When I was young I used to proudly wear Gloria Vanderbilt's name on my tush!!  I know Anderson Cooper as the only guy on CNN I have any respect for (as an aside I think that they are only slightly better than Fox New). But until I saw this book I had no idea that there were mother and son. So I grabbed a copy and I am so glad I did.

For a year, starting just after Gloria's 91st first birthday to just before her 92nd, the two talk to each other by writing to each other. She opens up to him about the nasty custody battle that left her dubbed the "Poor Little Rich Girl" and the harm that her mother's lifestyle before and after the custody fight did to her. She tells him all about her relationships throughout the years. They talk honestly and openly about the death of her husband/his father Wyatt Cooper and the suicide of son/brother Carter right in front of Gloria. A year of growth and growing closer, of getting to know these two public figures in a real and open way, is what takes place between the covers of The Rainbow Comes and Goes.  


I was charmed from page one with Anderson and Gloria and even though I knew the outcome of her early years I found myself rooting for someone to come help her. The tragedies of her life are now so far behind her that she feels removed enough to not feel those hurts and more. That she held on to such a hopeful outcome on life given her history is beautiful and amazing. Anderson has a different view of life and optimism, hope, and pessimism shaped by the death of his father and later his brother. But they share these ideas and out looks with each other with so much love, honestly, and tenderness even when they disagree that is impossible to stop yourself from falling in love with them.

(Finished May 28, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment