Friday, June 3, 2016

Frank: A Life in Politics from the Great Society to Same-Sex Marriage by Barney Frank

I love Barney Frank. I love his gruff and accented voice. I think he is adorable when he talks about Jim (his husband). And most of all I love his sarcastic way, he is the best at snark!!!!!
And yes, I agree with most, the majority, of his politics.
And I love politics.

Frank is part memoir part political back story. If you expect memoirs to have a ton of warm fuzzier then you might be disappointed, there is a lot of wonk in this book. But Barney's history as a gay young person in the 50's and 60's plays a huge part in his idea of what an equatable society looks like. His struggle with how to follow his sense of right and wrong and fight for LGB (later LGBT) rights even as he struggles with how to come out himself is sad and inspiring. He has a passion for righting income inequality and looking out for the most vulnerable among us. But he isn't soft and cuddly, he is brisk and sarcastic.

I love the wonk stuff and the personal touches and as I said I love Barney so I enjoyed the look at the evolution of LGBT rights, the formation of the Dodd-Frank finance reform, the ending of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and marriage equality.


(Finished June 3, 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment