Sunday, July 31, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Harry Potter #8) by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne (Spoilers Inside)

There are two things to review here, contact and format.

Format First, No Spoilers In This Section:
This was not written in novel form but is the script from the London Stage Production. In the past I have found scripts can be a little harder to ready style wise. But this didn't feel that way. I was immediately sucked back into the world J.K. Rowling created and that I love so much.
I read this with my son and we did it all in one day sharing the parts. We both thought the non-spoken pieces added to the story and helped us imagine how this would look on the stage. The script format does not in any way make this a difficult or stilted read.



Content, Spoilers Contained In This Section, I Will Warn You When I Start To Say Things Spoilery:
Have you ever wondered what happened after the epilogue? Harry has told his son Albus Severus that he is named for two headmasters of Hogwarts one who was a Slytherin and the train departs and Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione are left on the platform? Well this is that story. The opening is that scene on Platform 9 3/4. This is a story about the painful and messy that often fills parent/child relations. There is also a thread of the danger of messing with time, one which was addressed in Prisoner of Azkaban. But it was the characters we know and love all grown up. It has been a long time since this world has been so front and center and I was glad to have the chance to visit it again. There is action, some mystery (which was well spun I think and made me think how much better this was coming after Rowling having written a mystery series), adventure, and love.




Scroll for spoilers or stop here if you don't want to be spoiled.










Don't read on if you want to avoid specifics.











You have been warned. If you read further and then feel cheated you got spoiled it is on you...Read at your own risk!!!






Spoilers begin here:

You will find out where the Sorting Hat places Albus. It was the first of many gasps and surprised utterances let out during the read.
Ron surprised me here. He still kind of gets overshadowed by Harry and Hermione but he has his moments where he really shines and you can see how he has grown into a fine and wonderful man.
Draco was still Draco but with something more, humanity. I felt for him and even cried for him.
Snape, oh my how wonderful and yet painful to see him again. His true strength of character, the part of him that made Harry name one of his sons for the man, he gets the chance to exhibit it again, even more heroically.
A man I never imagined would ever have a loss of composure does, and it makes him that much more loves, Dumbledore...and it was a moment of pure emotion.
I did find one thing a little bit of an odd choice and I didn't stop thinking that even at the end of the story, the use of Cedric and his death as a catalyst for the action. There were other plot devices that I am sure could have been used that were less odd, like the title, The Cursed Child...the mystery of who it refers to would have done fine, the friendship between Albus and Scorpius was a match lit and would have been a starting point. Just being the offspring of Harry and Draco would have been enough to set them on the path for action and trouble. But Cedric was the chosen device.

But the biggest shocker but not really a shocker was Modly/Voldy-Bellatrix love child...I am not sure I want to know the specifics of them bumping uglies..literally and figuratively...But I always thought she was a little too crushey on him....
There was a nod to the badass that is Neville which was nice!! It was a great acknowledgement to his importance in the stories.
The Godric's Hollow scenes were so powerful and painful. The sacrifice was heartbreaking. Harry has proven once again his bravery and strength is only there when he is surrounded with those he loves and who love him.
Over all I was pleased with my return to the wizarding world and would love the chance to see the stage production.


(Finished July 31, 2016)




No comments:

Post a Comment