Friday, July 15, 2016

Outlander (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon

My thoughts on the rest of the series
Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2)
Voyager (Outlander #3)
Drums of Autumn (Outlander #4)
The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5)
A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander #6)
An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7)
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander #8)


Looking for something to watch and after seeing a friend post on Facebook that she was excited for the season 2 finale of the STARZ series Outlander I binge watched. I was so sad to see these characters go until season 3 and being the kind of person who usually likes books better than the movies or tv series based on them I decided to go ahead and start reading.

These are not short books, this one being 850 pages for the mass-market paperback and the next one is almost 1,000 pages. But I will tell you true, I didn't feel like I had just read a long book, it went rather quickly and had the can't put it down feel that I love to find. I thoroughly enjoyed Outlander and am looking forward to starting Dragonfly In Amber.


In 1945 Claire and her husband Frank are on holiday in Scotland trying to reconnect after having spent most of their young marriage apart because of WWII. Frank is researching his family tree while they are there and the information will soon become very important to Claire.

While out exploring on her own in hopes of finding a plant that caught her eye Claire pays a visit to a stone circle she and Frank previously visited. While there she thinks about the stories of fairies and witches the inn keeper has shared with her. She hears some nosies coming from the stones and she touches the largest and falls into the crack in it and lands.....in 1743.

What follows is by genre a historical romance but is different in that Claire is from the future and her love interest is a slightly younger, very easy on the eyes Scot named Jamie.  There is danger, intrigue, sex, violence, and mystery.

The bond that forms between Claire and Jamie is powerful and timeless. Will Claire stay or go back to Frank? Will she use what she knows to change to future? Is it cheating if technically her husband hasn't been born yet? These are some of the trials Claire faces. And while not prefect Gabaldon spins a tale that drew me in and made me want more.

I don't know if I felt so quickly drawn in because I had watched the show and wanted more of these characters or because of the book itself, but if the show started it the book grabbed hold and kept me. Either way it is a credit to the author because on the page or screen these are her characters and her version of the world.

(Finished July 15, 2016)


No comments:

Post a Comment