Monday, November 6, 2017

The Thief (The Queen's Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner

My sweet husband won an Amazon gift card and work and gave it to me and I had a nice book-shopping-spree that included this and Book2. After a couple of really heavy reads I picked this up to catch my breath before picking up my next memoir or social justice read. But...I am thinking I need to read book 2 right away since I have it.


I enjoyed the mystery, the adventure, and the story. It was clearly a set up for more books so there is a lot of back story, questions without answers, intrigue left unresolved, and room for new story lines. I liked the charter Gen/
Eugenides and I hope he has more page time with Sophos in Book 2 because I enjoyed their budding friendship. I even grew to really like Magus. No one was what they first appeared to be and there was more to them as we got to know them...well except for Ambiades, he starts out a shit and stays a shit. 

When Gen brags openly that he can step anything (being such a master thief and all) and then gets arrested for stealing the King's seal and showing it off to prove his masterfulness he sits in prison for months until Magus comes to get him and offers him his freedom for stealing something for him. Off on a journey they go to steal a mythical stone (Hamaithes's Gift) that will allow King Sounis to claim the country of Eddis. But things aren't as cut and dry as they seem, and the task is not as easy as just walking in and taking this stone.  

Something else I am loving about this is that is the perfect read to share with my almost 12 year old adventure story loving kid!! Books we can both read are always a plus!! 



 (Finished November 6, 2017)



No comments:

Post a Comment