Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed the tension and the buildup. The ending however fell very flat to me, it felt anticlimactic, and left me wishing for more of a bang.


The Woman in Cabin 10 is a pretty typical escapist who-dun-it. That isn't a criticism, there is a place in any healthy reading diet for that kind of read. And for the most part I enjoyed this one. I fell for some of the red herrings and others didn't fool me. I started to unravel the mystery and it is was a little formulaic, but not too much so that it made the story bad.

I can't say much because I don't want to give it away. But I will come back to my feeling about the lackluster ending. Once the "who" in the who-dun-it is revealed it kind of just ends. There was room for a big "wow" or "yes!!" moment and it never happens, it is hinted or teased but not fleshed out and I was disappointed.


I would not tell you not to read this but I would caution not to get too invested, it is a pretty quick and painless bit of escapism and I can see promise in this author. But don't go out of your way to read this...

(Finished December 20, 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment