Friday, March 30, 2018

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

I got this book on the Nook I got with my Christmas money, remember that? I don't use it a lot, I still prefer "books", but I don't regret the purchase. I grabbed this Nook Book because it was $1.99 through a BookBub email (<--sign up if you haven't already) the other day and I saw and was so moved by the movie.

I feel like I zoomed through this. It is much like the movie, a heartbreaking, beautiful, telling of the decline of Alice, a Harvard professor and famous linguist, when she is diagnosed at 50 with early onset Alzheimer's. As beautifully done as the movie and Julienne Moore's performance as Alice is, the book is so much more powerful. Something on the "page" that is kind of lost from the screen is being able to "hear" Alice's inner voice during her decline. It is so incredibly powerful, scary, and heartbreakingly beautiful.

Yes, I have said beautiful a lot in this review, but it fits. And since Alice is all about the words used and making sure they are the right ones, I am sticking with it!!!

This has made me want to read more, everything really, by Lisa Genova.

(Finished March 30, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment