Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Seafire (Seafire #1) by Natalie C. Parker

And I have started yet another series. The inside cover of this one says that it's "the undeniable feminine power of Wonder Woman and the powder-keg action of Mad Max: Fury Road." I have never seen Mad Max but I know enough about it to get the reference, and from the old Linda Carter TV series when I was a kid to the current Gal Gadot version of Wonder Woman I have seen and love her and I can see that here too.

Seafire is the story of a ship with an all girl crew. I say girl and not women or female because I want to make it clear that most of these characters are girls and not adults or have been torn away from their parents since they were very young girls and are barely into their teens. But they are the most loyal, brave, and heroic group because they have each other's backs.

When she was about 14 Caladonia (Cala) and her best friend/shipmate Pisces (Pi) are on shore gathering fruit and plants to bring back to their ship where their families are Cala runs into a Bullet (Lir) (the term used for the members of the enemy fleet) and he tells her he wants to defect and she is taken in by his handsome face and soft words...until he isn't so nice...and her and Pi lose their families that night and Cala loses her ability to trust, others and herself. She also doesn't tell Pi what happened and sits for years with this guilt on her own, afraid what her friend would think.

When years later she has put together her ship and a crew she is presented with another Bullet (Oran) who says he wants to get out of the life of the bad guy and Cala can't trust him. But he knows things she needs to know and has an important and life changing bit of info that would change her world.

It started a little bit slow, but not really too much, part of the problem for me was that I was distracted by another book that was released yesterday and I wanted to get to (Josh & Hazel's Guide to Not Dating) and the Kavanaugh hearing on the news so I didn't spend as much time as I would have focused on this book yesterday and so finished it this morning. But I ended up really enjoying it and now am looking forward to book 2.

Something I need to mention, I really appreciated that Cala wasn't a tough girl until a boy was placed in front of her and she didn't go all googoo eyes over Oran and there wasn't this a romance and she didn't immediately begin to defer to the "big strong boy." She was still the captain of her ship and the lesson she needed to learn from him was to learn to trust and forgive but it wasn't this damsel in distress needing rescue and I was so glad about that. When Oran first comes on board the ship I was worried it would go that way but glad it didn't.

(Finished September 5, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment