Friday, November 30, 2018

(((Semitism))): Being Jewish in America in the Age of Trump by Jonathan Weisman

I learned what the ((( ))) around a name means and I immediately went and added it to my Twitter profile. I learned about Leo Frank. I was reminded of the Gamergate and how it started.

I learned some of the history of Jewish people in the Unites States. I knew about Ford and Lindbergh but if you don't you might be surprised to learn they were antisemites.

As the trump administration has been in office there has been a rise in hate crimes not just against Jewish people but also People of Color, Muslims, Immigrants...basically anyone not White.

What Weisman lays out is the argument that there is something to be learned from the past, how to join together in a common cause and where the danger is greatest. This is a quick read, and it is important. The best defense, the best way to protect oneself and others is to be well armed, and in this case it isn't guns and bullets but knowledge and smart actions. Read what you can to better arm yourself, no background check required.

(Finished November 29, 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment