Saturday, November 24, 2018

Bitterblue (Graceling Realm #3) by Kristin Cashore

My review of Graceling (Graceling Realm #1)

I know this one, Bitterblue, says #3, and that is because there is another book, Fire, but in the timeline of Graceling, this is a continuation where as Fire is a side story or prequel, which at some point I will absolutely read.


This book picks up Bitterblue's story about 9 years after the events in Graceling. It's the story of the challenges of being a young woman who is Queen but also a young woman with all that goes with that, the learning who you are, what you want, what you feel, and trying to learn to be a leader of a people who have been so damaged by their last leader.

My favorites from book 1, Katsa, Po, Raffin, Bann, they are back. And there are new characters to get attached to, Helda, Hava, Teddy...and Saf.

While yes, this is a long book, over 530 pages, it doesn't read as long book. Don't let the length of time it took me to read it make you think it was a tedious read, my life got hectic recently and my free time to read has been reduced and I also paused this read with about 15 pages to go because I got AND HAD TO READ IMMEDIATELY  - Becoming by Michelle Obama -

The lessons Bitterblue learns as she makes mistakes are so much more timely that I think Cashore could have possibly known when she wrote this book back in I believe 2012. Being a leader requires compassion, listening to those who know more than you and then using all relevant and real information to make decisions, and being able to own mistakes and make things right. What a stark contrast from the current occupier of the White House.

And of course there is some romance here and some humor too. I enjoy the way she writes, the blending of drama, humor, romance, and adventure.

(Finished November 24, 2018)


No comments:

Post a Comment